Driving in Costa Rica



Even though as soon as we submit your papers you will be granted a file number, and for immigration purposes you will be legal in the country, if you will be driving a car, you have to consider that the Transportation authorities do not accept the document issued by the Immigration authorities as sufficient to validate your foreign driver´s license. This one will only be good for the period of time indicated in your entry stamp and you will need to carry your passport with you in order to prove that the period has not expired, so you might need to exit the country and get a valid entry stamp when the previous one is expired, because the law states that the license is valid (and hence the insurance companies will only cover you) for the same term as that of the stamp that immigration puts in your passport upon entry.

Once you are granted your status, you can request a Costa Rican drivers´I license after 3 months as a legal resident.